Possible SM51 status shown in ABAP system:
In sm51 screen what are the possibilities for status field? If the status is active, then we can double click on the instance name to go to its work process over view screen(sm50). but if the application server is down, will it still be displayed in the sm51 screen with status shutdown? If so, what happens if we double click on an instance name with status shutdown>will it still go to sm50 screen? What would be the work process status then?
Below are the possible values for status field. If the sm51 screen status shutdown then we can’t go to SM50 screen of respective application servers.
* initial –> The application server has logged on to the message server. When the server is in this state, it cannot be accessed.
* starting –> The application server starts the work process and initializes all required services. Requests cannot be processed in this phase.
* active –> This is the “normal” state of the application server. It receives, and processes requests and creates and sends requests to other servers.
* passive –> In this state, the application server can continue to process received requests or create requests itself. However, no new requests should be sent to the server. The purpose of this state is to “logically” remove from the system a server that must be stopped during productive operation. The server finishes processing its existing requests but does not accept any new requests and can be terminated without having to interrupt any relevant requests such as updates or batch jobs. This state can be changed to the “active” state.
* shutdown –> The application server is in the shutdown phase, that is, it will be terminated. This state is similar to the “passive” state but cannot be changed to the “active” state. This state or phase ends with the termination of the server.
* stop –> The application server has terminated the connection to the message server and can no longer be accessed.